How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15598
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My social security card was stolen

Customer Question

my social security card was stolen
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.


If your wallet or purse containing your Social Security Card is stolen, contact your local police department immediately to file a theft report. You should also contact SSA directly at 1-***-***-**** to request a replacement Social Security Card.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please my card was stolen not from my wallet,in a place where I keep secure documents.i already paid paid $39.00 on line,for what (I don't even know).now you ask for 52.00 what are you planning on helping me with.can you tell me if anyone has used my card or tried to obtain my identity in another state perhaps?my bank accounts were depleted last year and they could not give me a reason fro this.i am worried that this might happen again what can you do besides ask for money???
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

The site you are on is a question and answer site. This is not a state agency. There is no way to advise if your identity has been compromised.

Did you go to the police when your money was removed form your account?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what must I do to obtain a new card?????
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

The Social Security Administration issues a new card at no charge.

You may be allowed to use the SSA online option to make that request.

Some people cannot get the replacement online,

You can use a my Social Security account to request a replacement Social Security card online if you:

  • Are a U.S. citizen age 18 years or older with a U.S. mailing address;
  • Are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card; and
  • Have a valid driver's license or a state-issued identification card from one of the following:
    • District of Columbia (driver's license only);
    • Idaho (driver’s license only);
    • Iowa;
    • Kentucky;
    • Michigan;
    • Mississippi;
    • Nebraska;
    • New Mexico;
    • North Dakota (driver’s license only);
    • Pennsylvania (driver's license only);
    • Washington; or
    • Wisconsin (driver's license only).

If any of the above applies to you then you have to go into a SSA office.

If none apply then use the link below and ask for a replacement card