lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

70 O JULY 4TH AT PRESENT ON MY HUSBANDS SS BUT ITS TIME TO

Customer Question

IM TURNING 70 O JULY 4TH AT PRESENT IM COLLECTING ON MY HUSBANDS SS BUT ITS TIME TO SWITCH HOW DO I DO THIS IM STILL WORKING WILL MY SS PAYMENTS STILL INCREASE AFTER I START COLLECTING AT THE SAME RATE AS IF I DIDNT COLLECT I ASK THIS QUESTION BECAUSE I DIDNT GO TO SCHOOL TO BECOME A PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT UNTIL MY KIDS WERE OLDER I WAS IN MY 50S BEFORE I STARTED WORKING SO MY CURRENT SALARY WILL STILL INCREASE MY SS AVERAGE AND I PLAN TO WORK UNTIL 75
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

They (the SSA) will adjust or index your actual earnings to account for changes in average wages since the year the earnings were received.

Then the Social Security Administration calculates your average indexed monthly earnings during the 35 years in which you earned the most.

And after that - they apply a formula to these earnings and arrive at your basic benefit, or primary insurance amount.

This is how much you would receive at your full retirement age.

Your social security is recalculated EVERY year - and if your earning in later years is higher - you will get an increase in additional to COLA.

You may continue to work and because you are above your full retirement age - earning will not reduce your benefits.

In additional to that - because you delayed benefits and will start your own benefits at 70 - your benefits will be increased approximately by 32% compare to what you would have at full retirement age.

Questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I stop collecting on my husband's and start to collect on my own
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

If you officially suspended your own benefits - there is nothing you need to do - and your benefits will start automatically when you attain the age of 70 - IF your own benefits are larger.

If you did not suspend your own benefits - you may apply to the SSA - online. by phone or visiting a local SSA office.

Here is contact information

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/apply-for-benefits.html

Let me know your zip code - and I will locate the SSA office serving your area.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My zip code is 11762 I don't remember if I suspended my ss or just applied for my husband's how do I find out if I did suspend my ss and if it will automatically switch
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

You would need to communicate with the SSA to verify if you suspended your social security benefits.

You may simply apply online

https://secure.ssa.gov/iClaim/rib

If you do not wish to use the online application, or the application for the benefit you want is not available online, you can call the SSA at _1_800_772_1213_ (TTY _1_800_325_0778_

Visit your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply.

Address: 84 N. MAIN STREET FREEPORT, NY 11520

Hours:

Monday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Tuesday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Wednesday9:00 AM - 12:00 PM

Thursday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Friday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

SaturdayClosed

SundayClosed

Does that answer your question?