Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

My husband and I (73 and 66 years of age, respectively) have

Customer Question
our two grandsons living with...
My husband and I (73 and 66 years of age, respectively) have our two grandsons living with us, indefinitely. They are 10 and 14 years old, and are in school. Do we/they, qualifiy for Social Security benefits for them?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
6/14/2016
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

If a child is not receiving benefits from a parent when the grandparent retires, becomes disabled, or dies, the grandchild may then be able to qualify for benefits if certain conditions are met. Generally, the biological parents of the child must be deceased or disabled or the grandchild must be legally adopted by the grandparent.

In addition, the grandchild must have begun living with the grandparent before age 18 and received at least one half of his or her support from the grandparent for the year before the month the grandparent became entitled to retirement or disability insurance benefits, or died. Also, the natural parent(s) of the child must not be making regular contributions to his or her support.

Does that answer your question?

lev-tax
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor