How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29969
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I report a death to social security?

Customer Question

How do I report a death to social security?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

In most cases, the funeral home will report the person’s death to Social Security. You should give the funeral home the deceased person’s Social Security number if you want them to make the report.

Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 AM and 7 PM Monday through Friday.
If you need to report a death or apply for benefits, call _1_800_772_1213_ (TTY _1_800_325_0778_)
Unfortunately - there is no way - but to wait.
You can also contact your local Social Security office.
Let me know your zip code - and I will find a local SSA office serving your area.