How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15741
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I paid into Social Security while I was working as a student

Customer Question

I paid into Social Security while I was working as a student in Georgia, New York, New Jersey, and Tennessee, from 1972-1978 but my benefits do not reflect any of that period. My benefits only reflect 30 years of contiguous payments into the system from 1981 to 2011 in New York City. Why?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.


For years before 1978, an individual generally was credited with a quarter of coverage for each quarter in which wages of $50 or more were paid, or an individual was credited with 4 quarters of coverage for every taxable year in which $400 or more of self-employment income was earned. Beginning in 1978, employers generally report wages on an annual, instead of quarterly, basis.

It could be the amounts were not enough or they were not reported.

You could request a detailed work history from SSA.

You are required to rate in a positive way (STARS or SMILEY FACES) if I am to be credited with responding.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

Checking to see if you responded