How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29966
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have filed under my deceased husbands social security

Customer Question

I have filed for benefits under my deceased husbands social security number. I need to know when I might receive my awards letter. I'm purchasing a home and need that to qualify. My social security number is###-##-#### I called last week and they said I should have it by last Friday. I did get mail from SSA, but was not that. Would it be possible to have it faxed to me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

If you need proof you get Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security (SSI) Income or Medicare, you can request a benefit verification letter online by using your my Social Security account. This letter is sometimes called a "budget letter," a "benefits letter," a "proof of income letter," or a "proof of award letter."

Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

To set up or use your account to get a benefit verification letter, go to Sign In Or Create An Account.
The SSA will NOT fax the letter - but if you are not able to use your online account and need it urgently - you may want to visit a local SSA office and they will give you the letter on spot.

Let me know your zip code - and I will find the office serving your area.