Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

If I give a monthly gift or donation to someone who receives

Customer Question
ssi or ssd will this...
If I give a monthly gift or donation to someone who receives ssi or ssd will this effect what they receive.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
6/7/2016
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 1 year ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

It will not affect his or her social security disability benefits but his or her SSI benefits will be reduced accordingly.

SSI benefits are need based so any type of income or help, monetary or nonmonetary will affect the benefits. For SSI purposes income includes:

Income, for the purposes of SSI includes:

money you earn from work;

money you receive from other sources, such as Social Security benefits, workers compensation, unemployment benefits, the Department of Veterans Affairs, friends or relatives; and

free food or shelter.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
    Do they have the ability or right to look at his bank accounts? I have been sending $75 a month, sometimes a little more for special occasions. It's for my bio father. He lives to far and I figure this is a way I can treat him to eating out or buying something nice for him or helping with a bill. They are asking for him nd me to supply the amounts for the last two years. I called his ss officer to explain but they haven't called back.
    Customer reply replied 1 year ago
    What will possibly happen? Will he lose his ssi or will he have to payback anything? I tried to do something to help him and now I might have made it worse.
    Customer reply replied 1 year ago
    I stopped sending the amount. If it changes the amount now will he be able to adjust next year?

Yes, SS agent can request his bank accounts statements and if he refuses, he may loose the benefits. Because of his limited income he will most likely not be required to pay it back, instead the benefits can stop for period of time. Instead of sending him cash you can pay his car insurance for instance or medical bill.

Yes, his benefits will reinstated as long as he still qualify. The SS agent will need to make this determination.

This is evaluated case by case by the SS.

emc011075
    emc011075
    emc011075, Tax Adviser