How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29918
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'll be 60 in August and husband will be 63 later this

Customer Question

I'll be 60 in August and husband will be 63 later this month. I've had a knee and hip replacement as well as spine surgery. I've applied and been passed over on at least 50 job opportunities. I am wondering whether there's an option for me to claim benefits along with husband now rather than continuing to seek employment? We have a 17 year old son. and a 19 year old son.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

You will be eligible for social security benefits when you turn 62.

You might be eligible for disability benefits NOW - if you will be considered disabled.

This booklet provides basic information on Social Security disability benefits

Social Security pays benefits to people who can’t work because they have a medical condition that’s expected to last at least one year or result in death.

The first step would be to communicate with your doctor and ask if he/she will be able to certify your disability.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anything through my husband 63 and 17 year old son?
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

Your husband is eligible for social security benefits after 62 - but because he is below his full retirement age (66) - his earning will be limited.

You may be eligible for spousal benefits (based on your husband's working record) starting the month you will turn 62 OR if you will be considered disabled.

If either you or your husband will start social security benefits - your son will be eligible for benefits as well.

Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

Based on your information - your best approach would be to apply for disability benefits.

If approved - you might be eligible based on either your own working record or your husband's work - whatever is larger.


.I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all related issues.