How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I retired from the School System in May of '15 (turned 65

Customer Question

I retired from the School System in May of '15 (turned 65 April '15) making $40,000.00. I took a part time job making $26,000.00. I have not started drawing SS because I wanted to wait till I was 70. My question is why did my estimated benefit go down approx. $100.00 per month since last year?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

Most likely the estimate provided by the SSA is based on expected future earnings.

Generally - they assume that your future earning will be the SAME as during the last year - and because your earning was reduced - correspondingly - that affects estimated.


Many people wonder how the SSA figures their Social Security retirement benefit.

The Social Security Administration bases Social Security benefits on your lifetime earnings.

They adjust or index your actual earnings to account for changes in average wages since the year the earnings were received.

Then the Social Security Administration calculates your average indexed monthly earnings during the 35 years in which you earned the most.

And after that - they apply a formula to these earnings and arrive at your basic benefit, or primary insurance amount.

This is how much you would receive at your full retirement age.

So depending on your earning record - it is possible that there are some missing years or earning.

Also additional years of earning might increase your benefits.

If so - that could affect your social security benefit calculations and you may contact the Social Security Administration and verify if all information is correct.

Following publication might be helpful for better understanding the calculations.

Let me know if that answered your question?