How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29569
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been drawing ss from my deceased husband since 2013.

Customer Question

I have been drawing ss from my deceased husband since 2013. I am no 67 and would like to check to see if I can draw more on on my ss than his. Can you help me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

As a surviving spouse you are entitled to receive social security benefits based on your late spouse's working record.

Your benefits are generally 100% of your spouse's benefits - but they are reduced if you start benefits before your full retirement age.

You might be eligible to own social security benefits - based on YOUR working record - and may switch to your own benefits at any age after 62 - but most likely - it would be more beneficial to wait till you turn 70 and have your own benefits grow 8% per year,


If you want to estimate your own benefits - you will need to have your working record - the amount of wages you received for every year since you started working.

Let me know if you need help with that.