How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I worked in Canada 14 years and currently receive a Canadian

Customer Question

I worked in Canada for almost 14 years and currently receive a Canadian monthly pension of about 170-200 per month. I am eligible to receive their old age pension now of about `00 per month but have not applied as yet. I am considering retirement sometime the end of this year. My concern is whether because I receive this pension and potentially old, whether that will lower my social security benefit estimated now at 1500 a month.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Retirement Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

OK, so to be clear, you have an estimated US SS benefit of 1500 from work that you paid SS taxes on, right? You are not yet collecting it.

You also have some Canadian work of about 14 years, that does produce an employer provided foreign (foreign vis a vis the USA) pension of 170-200. And, you expect a Canada government SS benefit of about 100/mo, later, when you retire under those rules, right?

Questions I have for you are: How many years did you work Full time in the US to earn that 1500 estimated US SS benefit?

Also: In your 14 years of working in Canada, did you pay SS taxes on that work?