How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andy4712 Your Own Question
Andy4712, Tax Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 541
Experience:  Attorney working in social security.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Andy4712 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Not sure if I need ss lawyer. I have major cognitive

Customer Question

not sure if I need ss lawyer. I have major cognitive problems, get confused easily and no short term memory but here goes. I was in a serious accident in February where I was ejected from vehicle and it has left me with really bad cognitive issues. I was on disability from about 2000 because of my bipolar II mental health issues. I turned 65 last August and my husband of 33 years moved out, filed for legal separation and has since divorced me. I have other health issues that limit my ability to do housework, stenosis in lower back and neck for which I see a pain management dr. I have realized that I should not be living alone. I have no one for support, no close friends. I am trying to locate an assisted living apt that is affordable which is hard to do when living on social security. Are there any resourses out there that might help me? I've been told that there is grant money out there and that there may be VA money since I was a military wife for most of 33 years including his time in combat in Afghanistan. I don't know where to turn, do I need to talk to someone as social services, or social security. I'm lost and need guidance, I'll be 66 this coming August.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to give an incomplete answer, and opt-out so that others can provide you with more information. This is generally in violation of our guidelines, but a complete answer requires a multiple-category expert.

Social Security and Medicare provide very little benefit toward assisted living, but Medicaid might, even if you still have assets. There is a lawyer who advertises here in Southern California that he can get Medicaid to pay for Skilled Nursing Care, which I'm going to investigate for my wife when our Long Term Care insurance runs out. (If you don't know you have LTC insurance, you probably don't.)

Brookdale will probably tell you about many payment assistance options, even if you do not choose their facility.

Social Services and/or Medicaid may be able to help you. The VA may be able to help you, but I do not know if they will help spouses of veterans. If the VA will help you, they will not help pay for the basic rent, only for additional services. There are worksheets for veterans at their website , which may be helpful even if the VA cannot help you directly. f you have a friend you trust, "A Place for Mom" may be able to help you select a facility, but will probably not be able to help you with payment options.

If you have further questions for me, please ask; even though I will opt out, I should be able to see them.

Good luck.

Expert:  Andy4712 replied 1 year ago.

What state do you live in? Some states have agencies that help:

Expert:  Andy4712 replied 1 year ago.

This might help:

You might want to check you town. Our town has a senior center. What town do you live in?

Expert:  Andy4712 replied 1 year ago.

You should also check out this website:

Expert:  Andy4712 replied 1 year ago.

I hope I answered your question. If not, then please reply. Thank you.