How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  My experience over the years has involved Social Security,
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If someone is married years, their spouse dies, the widow

Customer Question

If someone is married for 34 years, their spouse dies, the widow works for 22 years and now wants to collect half of the spouses social security. Is this a possibillity
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  CGCPA replied 1 year ago.

Here is how it works:

If you are under full retirement age (usually 66):

If you were married at least 10 years (you were) and have not remarried you can collect the greater of a benefit based on your earnings record or 1/2 you spouse's benefit.

If you are at or beyond full retirement age (again 66):

if you were not remarried you can collect the greater of your benefit or that or your spouse but not both. If you began collecting before attaining age 66 and were collecting the 1/2 benefit noted above it will now change to the greater benefit I just described.

Expert:  CGCPA replied 1 year ago.

Do you need additional assistance? If so, please feel free to ask. If not, please rate my service to you. Thank you for the opportunity to provide assistance.