How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask annelew12554 Your Own Question
annelew12554, Social Security
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2429
Experience:  I have extensive knowledge of the rules of Social Seeurity
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
annelew12554 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a son on SSI and I just bought a house and recently

Customer Question

I have a son on SSI and I just bought a house and recently separated can I charge my son rent?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  annelew12554 replied 1 year ago.


I'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 28 years and I'll be happy to help you.

You're correct. You may absolutely charge your son rent, but you must charge him Fair Market Value of whatever space he is renting from you, whether it be a room, a trailer, etc.

If you charge your son rent, then the 1/3 deduction no longer applies.

You should also give her receipts for what she pays you, so that she can turn them into SSA. She should also contact SSA and tell them that she is now paying for her living expenses.

If you have found my answer helpful, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.