How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2931
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Lady, age 75 was married years to husband who was higher

Customer Question

Lady, age 75 was married for 18 years to husband who was higher wage earner and they got divorced back in 1971. Husband remarries and 2nd wife passes away in 2003. Ex-Husband passed away last year. Would Lady be able to increase her payout/benefit as a result of her marriage to her Ex-husband?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. As long as she didn't get married again before 60, she will qualify for ex-spouse benefits. She will not be able to apply for the benefits online, she will need an appointment at the local social security office. I would advice to call ahead and ask what she will need to bring to proof her eligibility.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Can you point me to a cite or source in case the agent is confused... Thank you.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
There are several website:

Related Social Security Questions