How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29580
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother has debilitating rheumatoid arthritis. He has not

Customer Question

hello, my brother has debilitating rheumatoid arthritis. He has not worked in more then 20 years and lives with my parents. What does he need to provide to apply for social security. Are there any factors that may prevent him from getting social security disability such as credit card debt, etc? Please help. We need to get him help for he has been turning into a tree. Big knots on all of his fingers. A softball size cyst on his elbow. Thank you sincerely ***** ***** advise. Angela
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
To qualify for Social Security disability benefits, you must first have worked in jobs covered by Social Security. Then you must have a medical condition that meets Social Security's definition of disability.In general, the SSA pays monthly cash benefits to people who are unable to work for a year or more because of a disability.In general, to get disability benefits, you must meet two different earnings tests:1. A recent work test, based on your age at the time you became disabled; and2. A duration of work test to show that you worked long enough under Social Security.Examples of work needed for the duration of work testIf you become disabled at Age 50 ... Then, you generally need 7 years of work out of the 10-year period ending with the quarter your disability began.So - absence of recent work will prevent your brother from social security disability benefits....However he still may qualify for Supplemental Security Disability Income (SSI) if the SSA will determined him to be disabled.The information the SSA will need includes:• Your Social Security number;• Your birth or baptismal certificate;• Names, addresses and phone numbers of the doctors, caseworkers, hospitals and clinics that took care of you, and dates of your visits;• Names and dosage of all the medicine you take;• Medical records from your doctors, therapists, hospitals, clinics, and caseworkers that you already have in your possession;• Laboratory and test results;• A summary of where you worked and the kind of work you did; and• A copy of your most recent W-2 Form (Wage and Tax Statement) or, if you’re self-employed, your federal tax returns for the past year.In addition to the basic application for disability benefits, you’ll also need to fill out other forms. One form collects information about your medical condition and how it affects your ability to work. Other forms give doctors, hospitals and other health care professionals who have treated you, permission to send us information about your medical condition.Call toll-free at 1-***-***-**** or at TTY number, 1-***-***-****,At the website, you can create a mySocialSecurity account to apply for benefits online.Questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Lev. I don't think he has filed taxes for many, many, years will that hurt his chance for disability?
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
For social security disability - that is based on his working record - yes - he would need to satisfy the recent work test.However - he still may be considered disabled under the SSA regulations.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
The law defines disability as the inability to engage in any substantial gainful activity (SGA) by reason of any medically determinable physical or mental impairment(s) which can be expected to result in death or which has lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months.As a disabled person - he still may qualify for Supplemental Security Income (SSI)Following publication might be helpful Security Income (SSI) is a Federal income supplement program funded by general tax revenues (not Social Security taxes):--It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; and--It provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter...I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.