How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been drawing S S . I am now 79, my ex wife passed

Customer Question

I have been drawing S S for years . I am now 79, my ex wife passed away in 2015. my children think her S S was more than mine. that say i should apply to see if I would receive more monthly.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. You may be eligible for surviving benefits if you were married for at least 10 years and after the divorce you didn't remarry before 60. Yes, your children are correct, if your ex wife benefits were higher than yours, you may get higher of monthly benefits. But if you applied for your own before your full retirement age, you will not be eligible for 100% of hers. You will have to visit your local social security office and discuss your option with a SSA agent. You will need a proof of your marriage and hopefully SSA already know she passed away so they can check your eligibility.