How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15328
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 72 years old and still working. I receive a monthly

Customer Question

I am 72 years old and still working. I receive a monthly Social Security check. Will the amount increase when I stop working and have no income?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
HelloYour SSA benefit is not reduced because you have other income after you reach full retirement age (66). You may see an increase in your benefit though because you are working and still paying into SS.Each year SSA reviews the records for all working Social Security recipients. If your earnings for the prior year are higher than one of the years they used to compute your retirement benefit, they will recalculate your benefit amount. SSA pays the increase retroactive to January the year after you earned the money.

Related Social Security Questions