Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I will turn 66 4/30/2017. I plan to start collecting 1/17. I

Customer Question

I will turn 66 4/30/2017. I plan to start collecting 1/17. I think I can earn $40k a month until 4/17 and the my income is unlimited. Is this correct
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, you can get your benefits with no limit on your earnings.if you are younger than full retirement age and make more than the yearly earnings limit, Social Security will reduce your benefit. If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, we deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit.In the year you reach full retirement age, Social Security will deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit, but will only count earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age.The following link contains excellent information as well as a Retirement Age Calculator which you will find helpful:https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/article/3739/what-happens-if-i-work-and-get-social-security-retirement-benefitsPlease let me know if I can assist you further.Thank you and best regards,Barb
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to assist you further.Best regards,Barb