How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2995
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband passed away in 2003, I was receiving social

Customer Question

My husband passed away in 2003, I was receiving social security since I was 62. I was given social security on his record. I have been working since 2003 putting money in social security. I am now 84, have not seen any increase in my monthly payments. What happens with all the money I have worked for and added to social security?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. Your social security benefits are calculated based on your earnings during the 35 years in which you earned the most money. So unless your earnings are much higher now than before your retired your benefits will not increase. For instance, if you earned 60K a year for 15 years before your retired but than your earnings dropped to 35K a year after your retired, your benefits are based on the 60K a year earnings because those were your best years.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Your benefits are not calculated from the total your contributed through your lifetime but from an average earnings in your 35 best years.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Usually SSA automatically adjust your benefits if your earnings are high enough to make difference in your benefits. If you think that your benefits should have been adjusted you can contact your local office and request your records to be checked to make sure that all your earnings had been properly reported. Mistakes happens. Maybe your employer didn't report all your earnings or not all of your earning had been added to your account.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Marrian I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you. Here are couple of articles you may find useful:

Related Social Security Questions