lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

Thank you. We both got the same amount, so should I be

Customer Question

Thank you. We both got the same amount, so should I be getting his half or full amount?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
If you are the divorced spouse of a worker who dies, you could get benefits just the same as a widow or widower, provided that your marriage lasted 10 years or more.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
Note: If you remarry after you reach age 60 (age 50 if disabled), the remarriage will not affect your eligibility for survivors benefits.You are entitled for 100% of your ex-spouse's benefits at his full retirement age.Then - you need to compare YOUR benefits and widow benefits.You will be receiving the larger of these...I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.