How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am receiving SSI and receiving $733 monthly. How can I go

Customer Question

I am receiving SSI and receiving $733 monthly. How can I go about getting more per month? Please let me know. Shirley
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shirley and welcome to our site!To qualify for social security benefits - the person must have 40 credits - means - he/she must work in the US at least 10 years.However as your father has never worked in US - he may not qualify for social security benefits.Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a Federal income supplement program funded by general tax revenues (not Social Security taxes):It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; andIt provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter.See here Federal Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payment amounts increase with the cost-of-living increases that apply to Social Security benefits. This year there is no COLA, so there will be no increase in SSI payment amounts in 2016. The monthly maximum Federal amounts for 2016 are $733 for an eligible individual and $1,100 for an eligible individual with an eligible spouse.Payment reduction - The monthly amount is reduced by subtracting monthly countable income.Unfortunately that amount may not be increased as you already getting the maximum SSI benefits.However - you might want to look for other mean tested benefits - such as housing assistance, food stamps, energy bill assistance, etc.Sorry if you expected differently.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the information but that didn't help at all.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
Please understand me correctly - my role is to answer your questions.I am doing that the best way I can - but I would not be able to resolve all issues in the word - and would not able to resolve your issues - that would be incorrect expectations...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well Lev, I already knew that answer. Please cancel this program $32 a month is a rip-off. I already filed a dispute with Paypal. Thank you, Shirley
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shirley,as you might know - experts do not have access to your account.Please communicate with customer service all payment issues..