How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29795
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a form explaining my benefits , monthly amount

Customer Question

I received a form explaining my benefits for 2016, monthly amount before deductions $1047.90, $104.90 deduction for Medicare medical insurance. $943.00monthly on or about 1/13/16. April 10, 2016 SS office said in a letter that they paid me $6563.50 too much in benefits , that I now owe and that they say now I am only entitled to $800.00 ( medicare has been deducted, and that I have requested an appeal since I never requested any benefits, they said I was entitled to them.
In Feb.2006 I advised the SS office in Fairhope, Al that my husband Walter P. Brandt had passed away. They sent $ 255 burial benefits and a letter stating that I was entitled to widows benefits. At that time I was 59yrs, old. In 2009 I married William F Johnston. I informed the Fairhope,AL that I married and my name has changed to Johnston. The Fairhope SS office said that I could received spousal benefits, okay I was 62yrs old. I did not question what they were paying me, they would know better than me. Now the SS Office said they over paid me $23792.20 on WP Brandt's record 1/12 - 4/14 and $3959.30 on WF Johnston record more than I was due, however on my own SS record created and underpayment of $21,188 SS office used this amount recover part of the overpayment. That I still owe SS $6563.30 and that I cannot collect spousal benefits. I am now 69 yrs and will be 70yrs. in 10/16. why should I pay for S S mistakes. Should I not be entitled to Spousal benefits/
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
Rules are not change and stay the same for long time.The issue is NOt that you have your retirement income - but whether you and your employer paid into the Social Security system out of your wages?
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
When you work and pay Social Security taxes, you earn “credits” toward Social Security benefits. The number of credits you need to get retirement benefits depends on when you were born. If you were born in 1929 or later, you need 40 credits (10 years of work).If you stop working before you have enough credits to qualify for benefits, the credits will remain on your Social Security record. If you return to work later, you can add more credits to qualify.The SSA can’t pay any retirement benefits until you have the required number of credits.Another way - even if you have never worked under Social Security, you may be able to get spouse’s retirement benefits if you are at least 62 years of age and your spouse is receiving retirement or disability benefits...I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.