Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I have no problem working whatsoever, actually I enjoy it.

Customer Question

I have no problem working whatsoever, actually I enjoy it. But I suffer from spells of severe depression and social anxiety. It makes me to where I don't want to see anyone, get out of bed and naturally after 1 or 2 of those, my job is not there anymore. I try to explain my aggrevating state of mind and the way I feel some days. Sometimes 3 or 4 days in a row. Problem is employers don't have positions for people like that. I'm only 43 and don't want to try an get a measly 800 or 900 dollar check a month. What do you suggest?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Are you asking if you can potentially win a claim for social security disability? Or are you asking about the prospects of working and earning?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how long would it take?
If your mental impairment is documented extremely strongly, including clearly indicating you are unable to adequately do the tasks that the SSA says are needed for ANY job, full time, and you are otherwise eligible (i.e. insured for SSD, not working substantially), yes, you can potentially win a claim if you build a strong evidentiary case the complies with what the SS laws says must be evidenced in order for the SSA to grant your claim. There are medical and vocational rules. How long "would" is take? If you were to win, it could take 3 months to 3+ years. Or more - there are many, many factors, some of which are in your control, i.e. how diligent you are with thorough and compliant treatment with a specialist and PCP, much of which is not (i.e. how full the SSA's preexisting claimant docket is, those that applied before you, what the political atmosphere is in terms of being willing to deny disabled people their benefits so the government can save a buck, the mood or bias of your adjudicator, etc., how well your dr. articulates your issues and the resulting limitations (some doctors are horrible at it, or are bias, etc.). The SSA is not subject to the deadline the rest of us are, which can at times be bad thing, and so the time it could take swings wildly, based on its processes AND on the fact that each case is different. Sometimes medical providers are slow to provider requested records, sometimes SSA loses a file... it is not a carved in stone process. I would urge you to retain a focused SSD lawyer - most of us do not charge a retainer, so it is a no brainer. I will add a premium services offer if you wish to have an attorney phone consult on your specific situation and applying for SSDIB. Completely at your option of course.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online SS legal resource!