How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a 62-year-old married woman does not have enough credits

Customer Question

If a 62-year-old married woman does not have enough credits to apply for Social Security, is it possible:
- Receive any of her spouse's Social Security while he is still alive?
- Apply for Medicare under any special program?
What ARE her options?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. If her spouse is currently collecting social security benefits or he applied and suspended his before April 30, she will be eligible for spousal benefits; about 30% of his if she applies at 62. She will not be eligible for Medicare until 65 but if her income is really low, she may be eligible for Medicaid. Every state has some type of agency that administer those benefits.