How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13568
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son has moved from Ventura county to my home on Orange County

Customer Question

My son has moved from Ventura county to my home on Orange County he needs to be seen by a doctor here to be evaluated as he has developed some dementia or possibly a stroke h I need how to go about transferring his medical to Orange County. I had a doctor appoint with St Jude but they said they cannot see him. I cannot wait for a month for him to be seen
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Does your son have insurance? If so, it is medicaid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He receives medical and food stamps thru Ventura county
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please respond to my answer
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for returning. I had client appointment in the interim, however, and could not wait. OK, he will want to confirm that his coverage NOW, covers him in that county. It is not necessarily limited by county - although it is limited by the state. As such, he will want to discuss with his welfare/medicaid case worker which providers, if any, in your county accept his insurance. He can also inquire this of his current insurance carrier. If he needs a new policy, he will want to go to the welfare office in his NEW county (i.e. your county) to apply for that, and at that same time, make sure to get a list of providers that accept the new insurance. If he NEEDS a new policy, yet, that will likely take more than a month, but if the first scenario pans out, he will not be limited by that - but only by the doctor's schedule. If he has an emergency (since you say he can not "wait", you can certainly take him to an ER. If the latter issue occurs that CAN take longer, you should still be able to take him to the ER.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Medicaid, is run by the state, in terms of providers, regional providers, carriers, etc., and not by the federal government - which is why your county offices are who handle these changes.