How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2995
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband died Oct 2014 and I was not aware I could receive

Customer Question

My husband died Oct 2014 and I was not aware I could receive survivor benefits I am 63 years old Is this true?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. Yes, you can and could. .... Widows or widowers benefits based on age can start any time between age 60 and full retirement age as a survivor. If the benefits start at an earlier age, they are reduced a fraction of a percent for each month before full retirement age... You can still apply and if you haven't applied for your own benefits yet, you will get little more than if you applied couple years ago. The later your apply the higher your benefits will be.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can i get them retroactive from his death. how do I apply?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also when I turn 67 can I change over to my own social security when I retire?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
No, you cannot get them retroactively. You will get a little higher amount instead. The best way to apply to is visit your local social security. If you are not getting any benefits yet, you will receive the higher of survivor or your own. The same rule will apply at 67. Once you apply for survivor benefits your own benefits will also be permanently reduced.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.