How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3363
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My neice needs to get social security numbers sons

Customer Question

my neice needs to get social security numbers for her sons who did not get them when they were born. she has their birth certificates. She also needs to change her social security card from her maiden name to her married name. She has her marriage certificate with her. Can these be done at any social security office
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.Yes. She can visit her local social security office with her sons' original birth certificates and doctor/school records to obtain social security numbers for them. She must show proof of her sons' U.S. citizenship, age and identity, as well as proof of her own identity. can change her social security card from her maiden name to her married name by bringing her birth certificate, marriage certificate and valid picture ID (driver's license, etc.) let me know if I can assist you further.Thank you and best regards,Barb