How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29581
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am reducing my full-time position to a part-time position.

Customer Question

I am reducing my full-time position to a part-time position. I do not pay social security because I am a professor in Louisiana. However, I do pay into a 401k. I have worked in the past for about 23 years so I qualify for social security based on that work record. If stay at the same place of employment but just work part-time will my social security benefits be affected by WEP?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
Yes - a pension based on earnings not covered by Social Security can affect the amount of your Social Security benefit.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
Use our WEP Online Calculator or download Detailed Calculator to see how your benefit may be reduced by WEP. be fully excluded from WEP - you should have 30 or more years of substantial earnings under Social Security.Let me know if you need any help.