How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12020
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I WENT TO India on 11/19/2015 and returned to USA on 04/10/2016.

Customer Question

I WENT TO India on 11/19/2015 and returned to USA on 04/10/2016. I went to SSA office Delano CA on 04/14/2016 to report my returning to USA and showed documents to the agent of that office. I was told that I will get a call from the office soon through interpreter as I speak punjabi language.My SS#is###-##-####and right now my medicare and Medi-cal benefits are stopped.I am having health problems and can not see a doctor without my health benefits having been restarted.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hi,...First, I would go to the emergency room of the closest hospital, if these are time sensitive issues. ... They cannot refuse treatment....California and federal laws define an "emergency medical condition" similarly as: <p style="margin-top:3.0pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:12.0pt;margin-left:
1.5in;line-height:15.0pt">a medical condition manifesting itself by acute symptoms of sufficient severity (including severe pain) such that the absence of immediate medical attention could reasonably be expected to result in placing the patient's health in serious jeopardy, serious impairment to bodily functions, or serious dysfunction of any bodily organ or part.<p style="margin-top:3.0pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:12.0pt;margin-left:
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Your legal citation for this is the following:...Cal. Health & Safety Code §1317.1(b)] [42 U.S.C. §1395dd(e)(1).
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Further, if you call the toll-free number, 1-***-***-**** (maybe you could have a family member or acquaintance make the call?) can arrange for an interpreter to meet with you AT the local Social Security office ... MANY times getting things done at the local office is the fastest way......See this from: provide free interpreter services to help you conduct your Social Security business. These interpreter services are available whether you talk to us by phone or in the Social Security office....Call our toll-free number, 1-***-***-****. If you need service in Spanish, press 7 and wait for a Spanish-speaking representative to help you. For all other languages, stay on the line and remain silent during our English voice automation prompts until a representative answers. The representative will contact an interpreter to help with your call. If your business cannot be completed by phone, we will make an appointment for you at a local Social Security office and arrange for an interpreter to be there at the time of your visit.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
If YOU initiate the call, in my experience, you will find that this is quicker, than waiting for someone at the local office to send the request....By calling (or having someone call for you) you are going directly to the same source that we HOPE the local office worker will eventually contact.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Again, 1-***-***-****...Please let me know what questions you have
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hi,...I’m just checking back in to see how things are going...Did my answer help?...Let me know…...Thanks,Lane