How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12480
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband died 2 weeks ago at age 67. He was getting his

Customer Question

My husband died 2 weeks ago at age 67. He was getting his social security check deposited to the bank already. I called social security and they said they would have to reissue those checks in my name and asked for banking information again. I should have gotten a deposit to hit the bank by 5/14, yesterday, but it didn't. I have to go and give them an original death certificate for the lump sum that I'm entitled to for my husband since he was a Vet. Is this what they are waiting to start the check deposits again. Please explain, I don't understand the process. I am not working at the moment and I depend on these deposits. I'm 65 making 66 this year and am not drawing my SS yet.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hi,...What you need to do at this point is a very specific thing; File for Survivors Benefits....THis is a big area of misunderstanding for MANY, (that the checks just start coming again, or that this is now YOU getting HIS retirement benefit)....This will all go more smoothly if you understand that, what is happening now, you must apply for a totally different; Social Security Survivor's Benefit....Social Security Survivors Benefits can not be applied for online. You must go to the local (or any local) office and state that you are applying for survivors benefits....It MAY look as if (once you get this done, because if you are full retirement age, the benefits are 100% of what his RETIREMENT benefits were) the benefits just starts again....But what you are doing is satisfying a whole different checklist of items that will be requested of you, both verbal questions and documents showing your identity and proving that you were married), in order to start a new benefit, paid from a different fund....Hang on a second and I'll get you what they will expect from you.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
From"You cannot report a death or apply for survivors benefits online....Social Security should be notified as soon as possible when a person dies....In most cases, the funeral home will report the person’s death to Social Security. You should give the funeral home the deceased person’s Social Security number if you want them to make the report....***[note the portion I'm underlining below, this is particularly important for you]***...What will happen when I report a death?If you are getting benefits on your spouse's or parent's record:You generally will not need to file an application for survivors’ benefits.We'll automatically change any monthly benefits you receive to survivor benefits after we receive the report of death.We may be able to pay the Special Lump-Sum Death Payment automatically.If you are getting retirement or disability benefits on your own record:You will need to apply for the survivor benefits.We will check to see whether you can get a higher benefit as a widow or widower.If you are not getting benefits, you should apply for survivor benefits promptly because, in some cases, benefits may not be retroactive.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Finally, here's what you will need:...Documents you may need to provide...We may ask you to provide documents to show that you are eligible, such as:...Proof of the worker's death;Birth certificate or other proof of birth;Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the United States [More Info];U.S. military discharge paper(s) if you had military service before 1968;For disability benefits, the two forms (SSA-3368 and SSA-827) that describe your medical condition and authorize disclosure of information to us;W-2 forms(s) and/or self-employment tax returns for last year;Final divorce decree, if applying as a surviving divorced spouse; andMarriage certificate...Important...We accept photocopies of W-2 forms, self-employment tax returns or medical documents, but we must see the original of most other documents, such as your birth certificate. (We will return them to you.)Do not delay filing your claim just because you do not have all the documents. We will help you get them.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have any questions at all....If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")...JustAnswer will not credit me for the time and work unless you rate me positively....Thank you!Lane……I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/ Medicare, & estate, as well as corporate & tax, since 1986
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hi,...I’m just checking back in to see how things are going...Did my answer help?...Let me know…...Thanks,Lane…
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hi,...I’m just checking back in to see how things are going...Did my answer help?...Let me know…...Thanks,Lane