How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask annelew12554 Your Own Question
annelew12554, Social Security
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2439
Experience:  I have extensive knowledge of the rules of Social Seeurity
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
annelew12554 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When i started working at about 17 (1967) I asked my mom my

Customer Question

When i started working at about 17 (1967) I asked my mom my social security # ***** she gave me my fathers #I used this # ***** 1990 when I went to ss office to change my name after I got married for second time they told me that wasn,t my # ***** was my Dad,s who died in 1956 now that Im drawing ss they are saying I can only draw $547 I have worked all my life and compared to other people my age that dooesn,t even come close I don,t think this is right and ss won,t open my Dad,s ss because he is dead WHAT CAN I DO NO ONE WILL LISTEN
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Andy4712 replied 1 year ago.
You can file a request to correct your earnings records and provide proof supporting your case:
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is a stupid answere what kind of proof I don't keep payroll receipts for 40 years do you? all they have to do is open my dads files the answere is there but they won't I wanted to know what I can do You did not tell me anything differant than ss This is a farse and now I have paid $39 for nothing this sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Andy4712 replied 1 year ago.
You don't keep your tax returns. They would show all your wages.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told didn't have to keep only last 3 years thatswhat I get for listening to stupid tax preparers and tring to get what is rightfully mine and trying to get answeres from scammers like you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and you aren't an expert anyone could come up with that kind of an answere
Expert:  annelew12554 replied 1 year ago.
Hi PeggyI'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 28 years and I'll be happy to help you. Congrats on your new marriage! My wish for you is that you will live a long and happy life together and then grow old together. I'm so sorry that this happened to you, but I'm even sorrier that the person you spoke with at the Social Security office was so unhelpful. It sound like they are now, in fact, crediting earnings to a deceased person, which is against the law, so they too have a stake in getting this straightened out also. Although the above expert, Andy, was technically correct in his guidance (and the form he referenced would be the correct form), nobody expects you to have proof of your income clear back to 1967. However, the Social Security Admin DOES have proof. Have you ever received something in the mail showing you what you have paid into Social Security, and how much you would receive if you began taking your Social Security benefits at age 62, at your full retirement age (probably around age 66) and how much you would receive if you waited until age 70? If you haven't received one of these in the mail, call & ask for them to send you that record. (it will not tell you who you worked for, but it will tell you exactly how much income was reported under that Social Security #, and this is a place to start.) I would then try to find someone at SSA that has much better people skills than the person you ran into first. I have a "system" I use when placing the initial call and/or request for help when dealing with ANY business, including the government, such as IRS or SSA. I call, and suffer through ENDLESS minutes on hold, or being transferred, etc. When I am finally put through to a person in what is assumed to be the correct department, I give whoever is on the other end of the phone a "Reader's Digest" version of why I'm my most polite and questioning voice. Those first few minutes on the phone (or in person if they insist) will tell you exactly who you have on the other end of the phone........a person willing to listen to reason and who truly wants to help you, or another jerk. If it's the latter, then I hang up and call again, and I keep on calling until I find someone that is willing to work with me. SSA will not be able to show you your father's earnings record. Even though he's deceased. However, a deceased person can not earn wages after they've died (and please accept my condolences on the loss of your Father. It is never easy to lose our parents. I know) and it sounds like they're still crediting your earnings to his SS#. Once you've established that your earnings are in fact being reported under his SS#, then they will have to straighten out the records. This will NOT be easy, nor will it be quick........and you may have to talk to a supervisor along the way to start things rolling and/or keeping the ball rolling, but there is SOMEBODY at SSA that can track all of this for you and straighten it out. I sincerely ***** ***** you find this answer helpful, and if you do, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars. It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge. Thank you for choosing justanswer.