How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29796
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am collecting social security under my deceased husband's

Customer Question

I am collecting social security under my deceased husband's number and my own benefits were suspended. We were married a long time/5 kids etc. collecting under his name will always give me much more than my own benefits since I was a stay at home mom for many years. I have recently met someone and we are talking about marriage. Will I still be able to receive the benefits I am presently receiving?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
You are eligible for survival benefits based on your deceased husband earning record at age 60 or earlier if you may manor children.However - you would not be eligible to suspend your own benefits at the same time - that option was eliminated starting May 1, 2016.Questions?
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
You will be able to switch to your own benefits at age 62 or later - but you would ONLY do that if your own benefits are larger - otherwise - it might be better to continue with survival benefits.Let me know if you need any clarification this matter.