How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an employed 62 year old widow- before my husband died-he

Customer Question

I am an employed 62 year old widow- before my husband died-he insisted that I apply for
widow benefits as soon as I could.
Can I file and receive now?
Thank you *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
You are eligible for survivor benefits as a spouse at age 60.So you may apply as soon as you want.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
Your survivor benefit amount would be based on the earnings of the person who died. The more he or she paid into Social Security, the higher your benefits would be.The monthly amount you would get is a percentage of the deceased's basic Social Security benefit.As you are below your full retirement age - which is 66 - your benefits will be reduced...I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.