How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have begun receiving my SS at age 62. May my spouse claim

Customer Question

I have begun receiving my SS at age 62. May my spouse claim on my number at age 63 and while continuing to work and accrue benefits under his number?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good evening,I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. if your spouse takes a spouse benefit at age 63, they will be deemed to be taking their own benefit and receive the greater of their own or a spouse benefit. But yes, if they continue to work, their own benefit will continue to increase based on their continuing contribution to social security taxes. Let me explain. Social security benefits are based on only the top 35 years of income in your lifetime---regardless of how many years you worked. If you worked less than 35 years total, then those years less than 35 would be deemed a $0 year. If when you took your retirement and continued to work you had less than 35years of earnings or any of the years’ post-retirement income placed that year in the top 35 category, then social security automatically would have increased your benefit. The reality is that an extra year for most folks makes very little difference and the amount is often hidden by the annual cost of living that is usually granted. For example, if you had a post-retirement year where you earned $50,000 and that was a NEW year of income because you had only 32 years, that $50,000 would translate to just about $17.00 per month increase to you. But if the $50,000year actually replaces a $30,000 year from 20 years ago, the amount of increase you would realize would be only about a $7.00 per month increase. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good evening,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug