lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

My mom is 78 years old, here SSi check is about $600, she is

Customer Question

my mom is 78 years old, here SSi check is about $600, she is living with my brother (her care provider) has no job now and they are struggling. Can she get housing assistance or not from SSI
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
The housing choice voucher program is the federal government's major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market.Eligibility for a housing voucher is determined by the PHA based on the total annual gross income and family size and is limited to US citizens and specified categories of non-citizens who have eligible immigration status. In general, the family's income may not exceed 50% of the median income for the county or metropolitan area in which the family chooses to live. By law, a PHA must provide 75 percent of its voucher to applicants whose incomes do not exceed 30 percent of the area median income.If you are interested in applying for a voucher, contact the local PHA.http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/public_indian_housing/pha/contactsJust click on your state...Let me know if that helps?
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
Eligibility for a housing voucher is determined by the PHA based on the total annual gross income and family size and is limited to US citizens and specified categories of non-citizens who have eligible immigration status. In general, the family's income may not exceed 50% of the median income for the county or metropolitan area in which the family chooses to live. By law, a PHA must provide 75 percent of its voucher to applicants whose incomes do not exceed 30 percent of the area median income.If you are interested in applying for a voucher, contact the local PHA.http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/public_indian_housing/pha/contactsJust click on your state.....I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.