How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29575
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I will be 62 years of age in June of 2016, my income is approximately

Customer Question

I will be 62 years of age in June of 2016, my income is approximately $72,000 and I am still working. My husband of 34 years died in 2012, I was told to file for his SS close to my 62nd birthday. Is it true I cannot collect this because my income disqualifies me unless I retire and collect it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
Yes - that is correct.While you do eligible for social security benefits - the issue is that you are below your full retirement age (FRA)Actually - you are eligible for survival spouse benefits as early as 60.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
You can work while you receive Social Security retirement (or survivors) benefits.If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, the SSA will deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit. For 2016, that limit is $15,720.So if your wages are ~$72,000 - all your social security benefits will be eliminated....Beginning with the month you reach full retirement age, your earnings no longer reduce your benefits, no matter how much you earn.