Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I am currently receiving social security disability, i am 62

Customer Question

i am currently receiving social security disability, i am 62 and considering applying for retirement benefits. what will happen to my disability check? will i get both reitrement and disability?
thank you
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hi,...So sorry, no. You cannot stack benefits....The first thing you need to understand when receiving SSDI benefits is that the benefits do convert from Social Security Disability benefits to Social Security Retirement, once you reach retirement age....Nothing will change. You will continue to receive a monthly check and you do not need to do anything in order to receive your benefits....Social Security Administration will simply change your disability benefit to a retirement benefit once you have reached full retirement age. ...
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
There are two major changes that take affect when you reach full retirement age. The first is that your benefits will no longer be paid through SSD. Instead, you will transition to SSA retirement....The benefits won't be interrupted with this transition and the benefit payment will be processed as usual. It will simply come in from a different Social Security fund rather than SSD, but you won’t even notice the difference....The second change that comes with reaching full retirement age is that your benefits are no longer subject earning limits that were in place with your SSD benefits....Standard full retirement benefits from SSA are based on what a worker contributed to the Social Security system over their employment. Disability benefits are as well, so the amount of your monthly benefit payment is not affected by the transition from SSD to retirement benefits...And finally, although SSA does currently allow people to apply for and begin receiving early retirement benefits at the age of 62, if you are disabled and have been receiving SSD benefits, then hitting early retirement age is not applicable for you. You cannot apply at 62 when you're on Social Securty Disability
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, and clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content.…Otherwise, I’m working for no crediting here at all..…But if there’s something you don’t understand, or you need clarification, please let me know…Thank you!Lane......I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986