How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2995
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Am I entitled to social security from my previous husband of

Customer Question

Am I entitled to social security from my previous husband of 20 years. We were married on March 28, 1964 and divorced in December 21 1984. He passed away February 15 2013.
We both have been remarried.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. To claim your ex-spouse spousal benefits you need to be unmarried (single, divorced, widow) at least 62 and you ex must have been entitled to his benefits.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
If benefits based on his record is less than your own you will generally receive your own instead of spousal you still qualify for restricted application (you were born before 1954 and wait until 66 to get your benefits). Questions?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Here's link to socials security website related to your question: I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.