Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

25 years common law from Ohio ,have since apart.I will

Customer Question

25 years common law from Ohio ,have since spit apart.I will be taking early retirement age 62 soon. have been told could not draw from his until he was 65.so then spoke to my local social security office and was told not until he dies ,or for him if I die.????
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.
With regard to your post: "25 years common law from Ohio ,have since spit apart. --------- OK. "I will be taking early retirement age 62 soon. -------- OK, you realize that will be a very reduced amount, with reduction being permanent, right?"have been told could not draw from his until he was 65.--------- Not true. If you are not divorced from him, you will have to wait until HE files for his own for you to be eligible to apply for spousal. If you are divorced, then you only need wait til he is 62. "so then spoke to my local social security office and was told not until he dies ,or for him if I die.????"------ That would be for a "survivor" benefit - yes, for that benefit, the spouse must be dead.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online SS legal resource!
Urgent! There is just one more step needed, so thank you for finishing up! Hello again. It is month end for my little office - Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do eitherof the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being. If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here! Sincerely,Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional