How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13522
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently receiving meicaid under disability

Customer Question

I am currently receiving meicaid under disability circumstances and reciveive a monthly check plus Medicaid benefits ......recently I also received a letter advising me that I was now signed up for Section D for prescriptions....I will be 65 years old on the 16 of this month May. How do I get my full benefits in that I am already under the Medicaid program and get approx. $700. I believe my SS benefits would be higher but need advice and consultation to see what I need to do. These medical benefits under Medicaid are not very helpful to my health issues..Please contact me to advise
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
OK, it sounds like SSA is advising you that now that you are turning 65, you are eligible for Medicare - ergo the Part D. What is not clear is if your $700 is social security disability or from supplemental security income. If it is the former, it will not go up when you hit your FULL retirement age (which is later, at 66), as it IS your full amount. However, if that is the case, if you are otherwise financially eligible, you CAN apply for SSI which will provide you a few more dollars to get you up to the $753 total you could be due if eligible for BOTH programs. To do this, you will want to go to your SSA office and inquire about getting SSI in addition to your social security payments - they don't have an online application for SSI, so this is the way to get it done. You should also be eligible for PART B Medicare as well as PART A. AND, You can ask Medicaid about the "extra help" program wherein Medicaid may pay for your Medicare premiums AND your copays, deductibles, etc. That you would go to your local medical assistance office to apply for, NOT the SSA office.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online SS legal resource!
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Urgent! There is just one more step needed, so thank you for finishing up! Hello again. It is month end for my little office - Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do eitherof the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being. If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here! Sincerely,Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional

Related Social Security Questions