How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29962
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 82 year old widow I have been collecting on my husbands

Customer Question

I am a 82 year old widow I have been collecting on my husbands benifits for 20 years. I worked for many years at a low paying job but could I collect on mine if the amount were higher?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
Yes - if you are eligible for both benefits - based on your own working record AND your widow survivor benefits - you are entitled to the larger of these.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
Normally the SSA officer compares both and verifies the larger.If you are not sure - you always may contact the SSA and verify.Let me know if that answered your question?