How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Married in 1989, daughter from this marriage born 1990. Marriage

Customer Question

married in 1989, daughter from this marriage born 1990. Marriage ended 6 years later. To my heartbreak daughter is/has been addicted to meth for almost 10 years. I now have permanent legal guardianship of 2 of her 3 children for 3 years now. No word from her, no evidence of her desiring a relationship with them. Is it possible for kids to receive social security benefits from their deceased maternal grandfather?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Angie replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunatley, no.... , In general, only as spouse, children or dependent parents may receive survivors benefits on one's Social Security record. But grandchildren are only eligible if their natural or adoptive parents are dead or disabled at the time you were entitled to retirement or disability benefits, or if the grandchildren are adopted.