How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29941
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I' m currently on SSI. Will my benefits continue after my retirement

Customer Question

I' m currently on SSI. Will my benefits continue after my retirement age ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a Federal income supplement program funded by general tax revenues (not Social Security taxes):It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; andIt provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter.You will be receiving SSI as long as you will be eligible - means your income will be below certain level and your countable assets will be below certain level.That will be regardless of your retirement age.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I leave the USA, to live in another country,( maybe Costa Rica), can I continue to receive SSI ?
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR SSI?Anyone who is: aged (age 65 or older); blind; or disabled.And, who: has limited income; and has limited resources; andis a U.S. citizen or national, or in one of certain categories of aliens;is a resident of one of the 50 States, the District of Columbia, or the Northern Mariana Islands; andis not absent from the country for a full calendar month or for 30 consecutive days or more; andis not confined to an institution (such as a hospital or prison) at the government's expense; andapplies for any other cash benefits or payments for which he or she may be eligible, (for example, pensions, Social Security benefits); andgives SSA permission to contact any financial institution and request any financial records about you; andfiles an application; andmeets certain other requirements.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
.You may NOT receive SSI if you are living abroad.However - if you eligible for social security benefits based on YOUR working record and you are an US citizen - you may continue benefits regardless where you live..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.