How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29778
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am turning 60 this month,& my husband is deceased, can i

Customer Question

i am turning 60 this month,& my husband is deceased, can i draw on his social security?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
Yes - you are eligible to start social security survivors’ benefits.A widow or widower, at full retirement age or older, generally gets 100 percent of the worker’s basic benefit amount;A widow or widower, age 60 or older, but under full retirement age, gets about 71-99 percent of the worker’s basic benefit amountHere is the publication you need cannot report a death or apply for survivors’ benefits online.If you need to report a death, contact your local Social Security office or call 1-***-***-**** ( TTY 1-***-***-****). You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 AM and 7 PM Monday through Friday.Questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!!
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
In most cases, the funeral home will report the person’s death to Social Security. If you want them to do that, you will need to give the deceased’s Social Security Number to the funeral director so he or she can make the report.Otherwise - you will need to bring to the SSA - the death certificate and documents that proof your marriage...I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.