lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I'd like another social security expert second

Customer Question

I'd like another social security expert for a second opinion. I had Christopher B.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
Please state your actual question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm 64 and disabled. When I am 66, can I file a restricted application and take only my spousal benefits until I'm 70? I read an article by Larry Kotlikoff that said that this strategy option was taken away on Dec. 23,2014. Another expert on Just Answer said that I am eligible to take it. Could you please clarify this for me? Also, in case I can't, could my husband file for his spousal benefit at 65 (with how much reduction?) or in Dec. 2016 when he is 66? A book on social security "Get What's Yours" said he could file regardless of my age since I'm disabled. Thanks for your help!
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
That option was eliminated just recently - started May 1, 2016.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
Under the peior law when you reach the FRA (full retirement age) - you may file a restricted application. The restricted application allows you to delay your social security benefits and keep them grow till age 70 and you become eligible to claim a spousal benefit based on YOUR spouse s earnings record.The law which we are discussing is The Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015 on 11/02/2015 it Became Public Law #114-74Here is the documenthttps://www.congress.gov/114/plaws/publ74/PLAW-114publ74.pdfHowever that specific provision will be in effect starting May 1st of 2016.See SEC. 831. CLOSURE OF UNINTENDED LOOPHOLES.on page 26 in this document..Sorry if you expected differently.Let me know if you need any clarification this matter.