How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13549
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I will be 62 in August. I have had a mid foot fusion of my

Customer Question

I will be 62 in August. I have had a mid foot fusion of my ft foot. Years ago I had my ankle fused on the same foot. Will I be able to apply for diasability benefits because of this condition. I also have spinal stenosis
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No, just that for the next 2 months I am on crutches. I was planning on retiring do to the issues with my back and now my foot
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Retirement Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Are you currently working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will just call social security directly, I didn't know this was going to cost me money. So I do not want to continue this . Just cancel my request
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
I was going to suggest, after determining if you were legal able to file viable claim (which you can not if you are working full time or substantially), that you opt for a phone call. Yes, you can call your local office, but they won't provide you attorney info on successfully filing and pursuing/developing a strong SSD case. They merely collect the papers to officially apply you - regardless of effect of your application statements. So if you do become disabled and can't work, I do urge you to retain a dedicated SSD attorney (one who practices only SSD, usually) - we don't charge a retainer and any later fee is both contingent and, approved by SSA and paid via retro benefits by SSA to the attorney, typically. Now, even though you can't file now, there are several things you can be doing now, IF you believe you will soon be disabled from working (and able to then apply) than can strengthen your evidence for later. If you don't believe you will be prevented, medically, from working full time at any/all occupations, i.e. your limits are simply not that grave, then this won't be an issue. But if you feel they are becoming such, and will be such for at least 12 months into the future, it may be something to seriously consider, as it will prevent you from having to file for early retirement which causes you a permanent 30% or so reduction in monthly payment amount. IN any event, yes, this online consult generally costs, but far less than the lawyer billable hour would typically cost. I offered this info gratis, just so you had some direction. Should you change your mind and wish to move forward, I will ask that the lowest cost phone consult be provided so you can reach me directly. Warm regards,Stephanie Joy, Esq.