Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I am on SSDI disorder. I also have been recently

Customer Question
Hi, I am on SSDI...
Hi, I am on SSDI for bipolar disorder. I also have been recently diagnosed with OCD. I have had ADHD before I was diagnosed with the other 2 disorders. I know social security looks at going to school as a way to see if you can work at substantial gainful activity. Im not gonna lie, I can write a research paper but I still have a problem working. When I am in school, I get more time to take my test, I have to stay after class and review with the professor because I can't comprehend what he says, I have to leave my classes sometimes because I get over whelmed. Getting to my question, I don't see how going to school might show I can perform at SGA. Can someone be able to write a research paper and still be eligible for SSDI?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
5/3/2016
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LawTalk, Attorney
Good evening,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. You are allowed to try and work and still remain eligible for SSDI benefits. The issue is not whether you work but how much you earn. Let me explain. Social Security has what is called a trial work period. It is a period of 9 separate months where you may earn as much as you want. In 2016, any months you earn less than $810 gross wages in do not count. After you have had a total of 9 months where you earned more than $810 gross, you begin your Extended Period of Eligibility (EPE) (see EPE.During the EPE, social security will evaluate your work and earnings to decide if you can work at the substantial gainful activity (SGA) level (see SGA).Here is a link to a social security site which explains this in greater detail:http://www.ssa.gov/redbook/eng/ssdi-only-employment-supports.htm So long as you do not earn too much in a calendar year your SSDI benefits and Medicare (after you have received SSDI benefits for 2 years) will remain intact and you will have nothing to be concerned about. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You didn't even answer my question. It was regarding school.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did you read it
Yes, I read your question. Going to school proves nothing to social security. Making money is the only issue you need to worry about. I didn't respond to the school issue because it is a non-issue. Doug
Good evening,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But I heard school is important. Attorney Anthony Reeves emphasized that in his you tube videos. Can one be able to write an essay and still have a hard time working.
Good evening, You asked: Can one be able to write an essay and still have a hard time working. Well, of course you can have difficulty working even though you may be able to write an essay. There are no jobs out there that consist of writing an essay as the sole requirement of a job. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Good evening,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, my offer for a call is still open. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug
LawTalk, Attorney