How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29573
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a widower, age 70, collecting social security benefits.

Customer Question

I am a widower, age 70, collecting social security benefits. In early 2017, I plan on getting married to a woman, age 62, who has just begun collecting her early benefits. My question is, if I were to die, would she be able to collect on the spouse's portion of my benefit if they are higher than her regular benefit?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
Yes - she will be eligible to collect survivor spouse benefits that may be as much as 100% of your benefits.However - because she started her social security benefits before her full retirement age - her benefits will be permanently reduced. Correspondingly - her survivor spouse benefits will be reduced as well.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
Please be aware that you should be married for at least nine months for her to be eligible for widow benefits based on your earning record.A widow, widower or surviving divorced spouse cannot apply online for survivors benefits. If you wish to apply for disability benefits as a survivor, contact Social Security at1-***-***-**** to request an appointment. (If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call our TTY number, 1-***-***-****.).I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.