How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29794
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married years, and then got a divorce. My ex-husband

Customer Question

I was married for 30 years, and then got a divorce. My ex-husband passed away; can I get survivor benefits even though I am a teacher and retiring this year?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
As a survivor divorce spouse - you are eligible for social security benefits based on your ex-spouse working record.However - as you already know your benefits still will be subject to WEP provision similar as your own social security benefits.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So how do I find out how much I could get under survivor spouse/divorced? Where do I look on the website for SSA?
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
As a survivor divorce spouse - you may get as much as 100% of benefits of the deceased.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
If you think your pension will affect your Social Security benefit, you can•Look at our WEP chart to see how WEP affects Social Security benefits.•Use our WEP Online Calculator or download our Detailed Calculator to see how your benefit may be reduced by WEP. me know if that works for you?.A widow, widower or surviving divorced spouse cannot apply online for survivors benefits. If you wish to apply for disability benefits as a survivor, contact Social Security at1-***-***-**** to request an appointment. (If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call our TTY number, 1-***-***-****.).I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.